Book review: Pride and Prejudice

Title: Pride and Prejudice
Author: Jane Austen
Genre: Classics
Release date:first published January 28th 1813
Pages: 279



Expectations
In the beginning of 2015 I've read my first Jane Austen novel, Sense and Sensibility.
After reading Sense and Sensibility I was determined to read more classics,especially more books by Jane Austen.

Pride and Prejudice is by far the the most wellknown Jane Austen novel and I've never seen even seen one of the many movie adaptations (because I want to read the book first). I'm excited to finally read Pride and Prejudice!


Review
I've listened to the audiobook on the Librivox-app and I'm glad I did! The book is narrated by Karen Savage, who did a great job telling the story. I loved listening to the English accent !

I loved the whole atmosphere of the era when Jane wrote her novels. I imagined a lot of Downton Abbey scenery.
The first part of the book was a bit difficult for me to remember all the different characters(especially all the men). Sometimes I got confused, so it took me some time to get into the story.

I loved the book!  It's showed exactly what the title implies, Pride and Prejudice. We get to see the main character Elizabeth Bennett judging Mr Darcy on the things she heard about him. The book is about presuming someone tells the truth and believing a one sided story without knowing all there is to it.

I really liked Elizabeth. She 's not a shy girl and she knows what she doesn't want. What she do want, is not very clear to her during most of the story.

It was fun to read about Elizabeths mother. She was so funny and so dramatic too. All she wants is for her 5 daughters to marry well. This seems to be here life goal, since she only had daughters, and no sons to enherit the estate.
The younger sisters are so excited, they are funny too.
Elizabeth and Jane, the two oldest daughters, are great friends.

The interaction between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy is just so wonderfully written and I couldn't get enough of it. It is such a great build up from beginning to end. Their communication has been described very well. Mr. Darcy has become one of my favorite male bookcharacters :)

I really understand why this is such a well loved story. I'm sure I will read it again soon.
I'm watching the movie adaptation (the one with keira nightly ) tomorrow and I will share my thoughts on that as well, so excited to finally watch it!

Rating

Comments

  1. I love classics a lot and I always read them among all the newly published books. This year I plan to re-read some of the classics and that includes Jane Austen books too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nita!
      I want to read more classics too this year. Jane Austen books are so lovely :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Myra! In the first place I want to tell that I'm sorry for my bad English. I'm Madeline, I'm from Romania and I also have a blog about books. Damn, I love books! I'm really happy that I found you. It was a beautiful mistake.
    I tried to read this classic but I just couldn't. For me was a little boring. I like more fantasy books like Cassandra Clare, she's my favorite, and Sarah J. Maars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madeline,
      Thanks for your comment! (your English is fine!) I haven't read that many classics either, but the books by Jane Austen are very readable. I also love fantasy books. I'm reading the first book of the Infernal Devices this month and I really like it!
      I will definitely check out your blog.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi!
I love to get comments so please leave one!!!
Thanks :D

Popular Posts