Book review: City of Bones

Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
Release date: March 2007
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 485

Synopsis
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy? 


This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know... 


Expectations

I've heard so many good things about this series and I'm really curious to see what this is all about. Especially now that there's a TV-show coming up in 2016! I have tried to read this a couple of times before, but I never got very far. This time I will finish the first book of The Mortal Instruments series.


Review


Now I understand the popularity of this book, I really enjoyed reading this. 

The beginning was a little slow for me, but because I had read the first chapters before, the world-building made much more sense to me. The start of the story can be a little confusing because a lot of new elements are introduced. 

This book is an introduction into a new fantasy world. The story is adventurous and action-packed. I liked the set-up, the world and especially the characters. I think most of the characters, if not all, are very well described and are portrayed realistically within this fantasy world. The character development is just great. 

I loved reading the plot twists. I just love it when a book gets you thinking about the possibilities within the story. 

My favorite character at the moment is Jace, but I also really like Simon. He is so funny! I must say I prefer the boys to Clary. She's a nice character, but (for me) not as great as Jace. But this is only the first book, so I hope for more character development on her side in the next books! 

Once I was invested in the story I couldn't put the book down. Now that I'm finished I really want to start City of Ashes. 


Rating


I will start the next book VERY soon. 3.5 stars for City of Bones :)

Comments

  1. Ah this one's been on my to-read list for a logtime ! however, I never seem to be ready to read it ! Anyway, glad you liked it :) Great review ^^

    New follower kn bloglovin'

    @ "Book Addict"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The entire series in just waiting to be read on my shelves for a long time.. but now I made a start :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked this one. I prefer her historical series, The Infernal Devices, to this series, but they both have some great moments. Thanks for stopping by!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very curious about The Infernal Devices as well!

      Delete
  3. I also really liked this book! It was interesting and enjoyable :)

    Anyway, I nominated you for the blogger recognition award. kindly check it out http://theliteraryhuntress.blogspot.com/2015/08/blogger-recognition-award.html :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tasya, thank you for nominating me! That's so kind of you :)

      Delete
  4. This book does start out a little slow. But the next book is even better! I know you'll love it!


    Carrie @The Book Goddess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently reading City of Ashes and you are right, it is better than City of Bones!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi!
I love to get comments so please leave one!!!
Thanks :D

Popular Posts