Review: A Game of Thrones

Title: A Game of Thrones
Author: George R.R. Martin
Series: A Song of Ice and Fire #1
Release date:  August 1996!
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 835

Expectations
So obviously I've heard nothing but great things about this book and the Song of Ice and Fire series. I'm very excited to finally start reading this for the first time. I didn't watch the TV-series yet, because I wanted to read it first.

For everyone who doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about(were have you been??) here's the synopsis:

Synopsis
Summers span decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun.

As Warden of the north, Lord Eddard Stark counts it a curse when King Robert bestows on him the office of the Hand. His honour weighs him down at court where a true man does what he will, not what he must … and a dead enemy is a thing of beauty.

The old gods have no power in the south, Stark’s family is split and there is treachery at court. Worse, the vengeance-mad heir of the deposed Dragon King has grown to maturity in exile in the Free Cities. He claims the Iron Throne.



Review


Well, I finally did it, I finished the first book of a Game of Thrones!  It took me a while, but I did it! Here are my thoughts.

Yes people, it is true:
A Game of Thrones is the first book of an epic, amazing fantasy series within an amazing fantasy-world, with fantastic characters and great storylines.

I could shut up after that, but that would make for a very short review :p

The first few chapters immediately grabbed my intention and made me want to read more. I also really LOVE the map on one of the first pages of the book. While reading I continued to check the map to see were the adventures take place.

So the story starts of with Eddard Stark who is called to be the Hand of the King. He cannot refuse so he goes to Kingslanding(the Capital) to assist the King. It all starts there.

The writing
I cannot tell you how much I love his writing. It is epic and with such detail you can really imagine little thing he describes. 

I wouldn't think I would like to read from the perspective of many different characters, but it was really nice. I also love that most of the chapters are pretty short, it keeps the pace up. 

I also think the writer is very unpredictable, which is scary at times. I really think I'll have an idea were a story-line is gonna go and then suddenly it totally turns around! This aspect of his writing also makes it a very exciting read :)

It is also a read for adults, because there is some mature content in it. I did have some trouble reading this because some of the characters are still 14/15 years old when they go through intense things. 

I am happy the characters are aged up for the TV-series, but I will talk about that more in my seriesreview for A Game of Thrones.


The world-building
The world building is simply epic. How a writer can imagine this all and writes it down so perfectly, amazes me. There are so many different cities! I also really like the mystery of the Wall and what could be behind it. It's just amazing!

The characters
There are so many! I really want to share my favorites with you, so here we go:

Jon Snow - He is the bastard child of Eddard Stark. He is about 14 in the book. He is a lot like his father. Honorable, honest, kind. I really love his character!! 

Arya Stark - She is the daughter of Eddard Stark and his wife Catelyn. She is 9 years old. Everyone wants Arya to act like a lady, but she wants to learn how to use a sword instead. I love because she is not the typical girl you read about.

Daenerys Targaryen - One of the last Targaryens left alive. Her brother wants to be King because his family used to rule the Seven Kingdoms. Her brother uses Daenerys to get what he wants. Throughout the book you get to see her growing stronger and becoming her own person.

Tyrion Lannister - He is the brother of Cersei and Jaime Lannister. His nickname is the Imp, because he's a dwarfsize man. He can be very funny and sarcastic. I like reading his chapters.

The Character development is greatly described with all of the characters I described earlier. 

So, did I like reading A Game of Thrones? I loved it :) You do have to take some time reading it, but every page is worth reading. There is no boring moment.

Rating

Would I recommend reading this? YES!! You haven't read it yet? Go and read it NOW!



Comments

Popular Posts