Q & A with K.M. Randall!













I'm so excited to share this Q & A with you today! I interviewed author K.M.Randall, who wrote her first novel Fractured Dream, that will be released on June 21st.

Here we go!

Why and when did you start writing?
I think I probably started writing as soon as I learned to write. The first memories of my writing go back to first grade when we were reading the Bunnicula series by James Howe, and I wrote a version of my own six-year-old fan fiction. I also have a book of poems I wrote around the same time, titled Once Upon A Merry Fairy. I have boxes of stories I wrote over the years and can remember trying to write a book in sixth or seventh grade about a young girl and a unicorn.

What or who inspired you to write? 
I can’t pinpoint a certain moment or person, but I know what influenced the younger version of me. There’s the writers I emulated as a child: James Howe; Betty MacDonald, author of the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series; Ann M. Martin, author of the Baby Sitter’s Club; and Shel Siverstein. You can see with even an early interest in fairies and vampire bunnies that fantasy was always where I was heading. I also had a teacher in third grade, who really encouraged me to read and write, and my mother has always been supportive. 

What is the hardest part of writing a book? 
Finding time! I am a working mother who also edits books on the side. Scheduling in my own writing seems almost impossible sometimes. But it’s in my blood and I have stories in my head beating at the walls, so I find the time.

Can you describe a typical work day?
I often don’t start writing until after 9 p.m. since I have a family and a day job, in addition to my side editing gigs. Then I often don’t go to sleep until 2 or 3 a.m. I am blessed to be one of those people who can function with minimal amounts of sleep. I guess I don’t have a really interesting process like some writers. When everyone is in bed, I sit down and write. It’s as simple as that. 

What would you like to accomplish in the next 5 years?
In my writing life I would like to finish The Dreamer Saga series and continue to see my works realized by being published. I think, as is probably every author’s goal, I’d like to be able to make my living solely off of writing. A girl can dream.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? 
Alice Hoffman is one of my favorite writers. I love the way she weaves magic into every sentence so that even the most mundane thing or scene seems to carry an element of mysticism. 

Do you have any advice for other writers? 
Don’t give up. Don’t let self-doubt weigh you down. Just keep at it and definitely network. Doors can open. 

What are your current projects?
I am currently working on a book called The Reaper’s Daughter that I hope I’ll be able to release by the end of the year. It’s about a girl who finds out her mother is the Grim Reaper. After that, I’m heading back to The Dreamer Saga in hopes to have the second book in the series out sometime next year. 

I want to thank the author for answering the questions!

Happy reading everyone!

Comments

Post a Comment

Hi!
I love to get comments so please leave one!!!
Thanks :D

Popular Posts